Frequently Asked Questions
- How long will it take from when I contact you through to my website being put on the Internet?
- How much do you charge for website design?
- How and when do I pay you?
- "Hosting for 2 years". What do you mean by "hosting", and what happens after 2 years ?
- Apart from content information, what else do I need to give you?
- How should we send you the information and material necessary to compile the site?
- How do I send you photographs?
- How do you make the website maps?
- How do I set up my email program (such as Outlook Express)?
- What is Webmail, and how do I use it?
- How long will it take for Search Engines (such as Google and Yahoo!) to list my site?
- Once the website is set up, will I be able to update it myself?
>>> As soon as we receive everything we need from you (the information you want displayed on your website, any photos and maps, etc.) we will design your website and upload it to the Internet. That will take approximately one week. It then takes a further 24-48 hours for your domain name to propagate with your website. In total it is possible to have your website up and fully functional within two weeks. However, for complex sites with databases and Content Managemant Systems, it will take longer depending on the complexity of the work.
>>> It is difficult to list web design and construction prices as the price of the website you need depends on many factors. However, here are a couple of examples of prices for work we have recently done on our prices page. For a quote, please complete our quote form.
>>> We accept payment by credit card (using our online credit card processor), Paypal or bank transfer. We will send you the payment details by email. We request 50% payment once the site design has been approved and the final 50% on completition of your site. Please see our How It Works page for more details.
>>> Hosting is the term used for keeping your website on a web server that is connected to the Internet. In this way your website is connected to the Internet 24/7. All websites are kept on web servers which are usually run by a hosting company that owns the servers. If you choose our full package it will include 2 years hosting. After 2 years, if you wish to continue, a 2 year hosting fee of ¥24,000 (if you have the Bronze Plan) is charged to keep your site on online. There will be no extra charges other than domain name renewal. For hosting and domain prices please click here.
>>> If you wish to include photos, images and maps we would need you to send them to us.
>>> The easiest way to send your text, photos and maps would be by email. However, we can also accept all of your content via the post.
>>> If your photographs are in digital form (i.e. taken with a digital camera) you can send the photograph files to us by email. If you have regular photograph prints you can either scan them and email us the files, or mail us your prints and we will scan them for you (in this case, if you would like your photographs returned we would be happy to do so).
>>> If you have your map in file format on your computer you can simply email the file to us. Otherwise, you can send us a simple line drawing of your map and we will use that to make a map using a graphics software program.
>>> You can set up your computer's email program to send and receive your website email. Below, I have described how to set up your website email with Outlook Express. If you use a different email program you will find the that the instructions will still be helpful. For the below explanation we'll imagine that we are setting up an account for a school named 'Vision English School' with an email address of 'firstname.lastname@example.org'.
1. Open Outlook Express. In the top menu click "Tools" > "Accounts" and then click the "Mail" tab.
2. Click the "Add" button and then choose "Mail"
3. Enter your name or school name as you would like it to appear on your emails (e.g. Vision English School). Then click "Next".
4. Enter your email address (which you can find in your Welcome email from us) - e.g. email@example.com. Click "Next".
5. Make sure the settings for "My incoming server is a ___ server" are set to POP3. In the text box for "Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, HTTP) server" type "mail.(your website name).com" (e.g. mail.visionschool.com). Again, type the same thing (mail.(your website name).com) in the other text box "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server". Click "Next".
6. In "Account name" type your email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). For password enter the password we gave you in your Welcome email. Click "Next" and then click "Finished".
7. Click the "Properties" button, choose the "Server" tab and then make sure the box "My server requires authentication" is checked. Click "Apply" and then "Close".
8. You have finished! Check everything works by sending yourself an email. If you have any problems contact us.
>>> Webmail is like having your email program on the Internet - just like Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail or Gmail. You can access it from any computer that is online to send & receive emails. Using it is very simple: 1. Go to the webmail address that was given to you when you signed up in your Welcome email (it will be www.yourwebsitename.com/webmail). 2. You will be asked for your user name and password (your user name is your email address and your password will be in your Welcome email). 3. You will be taken to your Webmail page. Here you have 3 different webmail options. We suggest using RoundCube as it is the simplest and easiest to use. 4. When you have finished using the webmail close the browser window.
>>> We will submit your site to the major search engines as soon as we upload it to the Internet. It may take several weeks (4-8 weeks is common but sometimes up to 3 months) before your web site will appear on the search engines.
>>> This depends on the kind of web site you want us to make for you. Some websites we make are called 'static' sites. This means we add the content you give us to the site and unfortunately, unless you are capable of programming in HTML, you will not be able to make changes or add content. However, we can also set up your site so that you can add and edit text using a web editor that we install on your site. This means you can update your site content as often as you like. We we discuss these details with you when you contact us.